Human Rights Committee
On July 7, 2021 the Town Council adopted an Advisory Committee on Human Rights.
WHEREAS, it is essential to the health, safety, and welfare of Clinton and its inhabitants that differences serve as a source of individual and community strength, rather than as causes of discrimination.
NOW THEREFORE, the Town Council of the Town of Clinton wishes to establish an Advisory Committee on Human Rights.
The purpose of the Human Rights Committee is to promote mutual understanding and respect within the Town of Clinton among all racial, religious, ethnic and other groups, and among individuals of differing genders, sexual orientations, ages and abilities.
The goal of the Human Rights Committee is to facilitate respect, discourse, education and understanding in the Clinton community relating to the backgrounds and identities of its members as well as to encourage equality of treatment of and opportunity for, all members of the community, without regard to economic status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age and abilities.
Charges and Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Town Council, to pursue community-wide education, through engagement with private business, civic and other community organizations within the Town of Clinton, and to recommend to the Town Council any programs, projects, activities or initiatives derived from such engagement, that will promote educational awareness, support for human rights and help all members of the community to enjoy equality of opportunity in all phases of community life in the Town of Clinton.
- Under the general supervision of the Town Council, to engage in study and research, and to publish and /or present reports designed to increase understanding within the community.
- To carry out such projects in the area of individual and group human rights and relations as shall be deemed necessary by the Committee and Town Council to ensure the safety, dignity, and peace of mind of the Town.
- To promote activities and programs to carry out the purposes of the Committee
- To pursue community-wide education, through both school programs and public engagement, that furthers intergroup understanding, tolerance, and acceptance.
- To advise and recommend to the Town Council of federal or state funds available for implementation of any activity described above in support of human rights and to facilitate the ability of the Town to obtain such funds.
- Adopt By-Laws to organize its meetings.
- Provide an annual activity report to the Town Council.
Membership and Term:
The Committee membership shall be appointed by the Town Council and be comprised of seven (7) resident electors of Clinton to serve a staggered, initial term of three (3) years. Five (5) members shall be appointed for a term expiring on July 1 in an odd-numbered year; two (2) members shall be appointed for a term expiring on July 1 in an even-numbered year.
In addition, two (2) ex officio, non-voting student advisory members would be selected and serve during the school year.
The Director of Human Services shall also serve as an ex officio, non-voting member.
The link below contains information on the regularly scheduled monthly meetings for the current year. It does not contain Agendas or information on special meetings or emergency meetings. To receive notifications and Agendas for all meetings, regular, special and emergency please go to the Notify Me center, locate the Board, Commission or Committee you are interested in and follow the instructions.