Building Permit General Information

Building Permit Application Information and Procedures:

A project may require multiple permits. For example, a new house requires a building permit application along with trade permit applications for electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning.

1. If the project will enlarge living area or impact the ground coverage at a property then a B100a application must be filed with and approved by, the CT River Area Health District (CRAHD), 860-661-3300, prior to receiving a building permit.

2. If wetlands or watercourses are located within 100 feet of the proposed activity, or are located on the site, or if the activity may impact a wetland or watercourse, an application to the Inland Wetlands Commission may be required. You may contact the Inland Wetlands Commission at 860-669-6133 to discuss this matter.

3. Site plan approval or special use approval may be required by the Planning and Zoning Commission.

4. After obtaining any required Planning and Zoning Commission and/or Wetland Commission approvals for a project, the permit application may be submitted to the Building Department.

5. All mechanical (electrical, plumbing, HVAC) permits must be applied for separately from the Building application.

6. For new structures, after the foundation is constructed and inspected, an as-built survey showing the foundation location must be submitted. Building inspections will be conducted during construction. A list of required inspections will be supplied with the permit.

7. After all construction and site work is completed, contact the Building Official and the Zoning Enforcement Officer for a final Certificate of Occupancy inspection.

8. Building projects result in a Certificate of Occupancy for habitable space. A Certificate of Approval is for all other projects. The applicant must request all final inspections. Zoning and other department compliances maybe required in order for the Building Official to sign the certificate.

The following items are to be submitted when applying for a building permit:

• Completed building permit application and plot plan, if applicable.

• Planning and Zoning Commission approval, if applicable.

• Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Agency approval, if applicable.

• CRAHD approval, if applicable.

• Construction plans (plan view, wall cut, elevations).

• Contractor's name, address, telephone number and a copy of current license. *

• Contractor’s Proof of Workers' Compensation Insurance. *

• Applicable Building and Zoning fees.

* If the homeowner is doing some or all of the work, they must show proof of workmen’s compensation or sign an ‘Affidavit for Property Owners’ and have it notarized.